One of the Markdown features I’m intensively using are footnotes1. However, I never found an editor managing them the way I want.
The keyboard way
SmartDown 1 was supporting snippets and version 2 have improved them a lot. It was then natural to use snippets to facilitate footnotes creation.
Here are the steps to add a new footnote:
- Type “fn;” without the double quotes and press the Tab key
- The first part of the footnote is inserted at cursor position and the name selected.
- Enter the name you want for your footnote
- Once done, press enter, the footnote is inserted at the end of your document.
- You can then enter the description of the footnote.
The Mouse way
Insertion of a footnote can also be done suing the smart contextual popup.
In order to show it, simply double-click in the editor.
You can then enter your footnote and validate.